Sunday 17 June 2012

The Writer in You Blog Hop (5)

The Writer in You Blog Hop!
The Writer in You Blog Hop is hosted by The Fiction Diaries.
There'll be a question relating to "writing" each Saturday.
This week's question is:


Q: When did you know you wanted to be a writer? Did you share it with people or keep it to yourself?

I've been an avid reader since I was a toddler, starting with picture books then going on to children's books and then to novels. I never thought about writing until I was around 12 years old and was so heavily in love with the Japanese anime/manga Cardcaptor Sakura that I actually started writing fan fiction whenever I have any free time in class. It is really interesting to play with my favourite characters in my mind and put them in my stories. I published them on FanFiction.Net under then pen name sakuraakamichelle. None of my friends knew I wrote those stories and they were pretty surprised when I told them years later. Many still remain in the dark. I went into a writing slump when I was around 15 years old and I stopped writing altogether to focus on my studies. Getting good grades are very important here after all. However, the thought of being a writer never got stuck in my head until early this year when I started reading YA. That is when I know I want to write something--my own story with my own characters. Lovely. Instead of keeping it a total secret, I shared my being a writer to some of my close friends and my family. To my surprise, they are very supportive! But then, it isn't considered a "real job" so I still have to hunt for a "real" one. Some of my friends often ask me if I have had any interviews lately, which is kind of demoralizing. I definitely prefer writing! Can I consider writing as my permanent job, please?

Hope you've had a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Of course you can! Consider writing as a permanent job, I mean...

    My parents and friend apparently been suggesting me to stay home instead of looking for job. My friends and my mom been saying that I can concentrate on my home-baking business. And my dad been suggesting me to publish what I'm writing as a book. I think they're insane DX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing and always have! I began writing stories before i could write, but in my teen years I was obsessed with reading. I would take books I loved and re-write them in a different light. You know, different characters, different situations, but I used my favorite authors as a guide. I copied their style and re-invented situations for their characters to work through. It was fun. and a writer was born. In me.
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    Talynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun! :) Thanks for sharing your story too!

      Delete